Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Blackout" and "All Clear" - Connie Willis

Well, the book group read Blackout last month, but I learned from one of our members that Willis had intended these two books to be published as one. So - read 'em both.

Uh - yeah. This was a really good 300 page story. Unfortunately, the books run about 1,000 pages. Willis lets you know about the concern and anxiety of the characters with a lot of inner monologue: What if this happens? Oh, God - that would mean... And then we'd have to...Oh, never mind, it didn't happen. But what if this happens......

The first 3 times getting through this - fine, whatever. The remaining 70 or 80 - not so much. Reminded me of many later Stephen King books, as well as the later Harry Potter stories:  Established, popular author, so we won't edit them.  (Gag.)

Really, the story here isn't bad. But, I doubt I'll be picking up Willis again anytime soon.

(But what if I do? That might mean that I've changed my mind. Could that mean I have a mental condition? Or worse, could aliens be forcing me to.......)

No comments:

Post a Comment